You Can Enhance Your Implant’s Success
Did you know that you can actually prolong the lifespan of your dental implant and improve its overall success? By taking care of your oral health, being aware of the post-op do’s and don’ts, and using the right dental products, you’ll be able to confidently smile for a lifetime with dental implants.
Follow These Initial Post-Op Tips
After any surgery, it’s always important to take things easy and focus on getting better before risking any delay to your recovery. Dr. Stanislaus wants you to be careful within the first couple of days after surgery and follow these recommendations:
- Don’t spit or use a straw for drinking because these actions can put an excessive amount of pressure on your implant site and impede the healing process.
- Avoid eating hard foods that can impact your implant. It’s best to stick to a liquid and soft food diet within the first few days to avoid infection.
- Rinse out your mouth with salt water after eating, or two to three times a day, to clean out your mouth and reduce inflammation.
- Stay away from alcohol and tobacco for at least a week because these substances can reduce your blood flow which can impact the healing process.
Consider Your Long-Term Health
It’s important to focus on maintaining good oral health after your recovery because it can also make an impact on your implant’s success. Review these tips to ensure you achieve a healthy smile for a lifetime.
Protect Your Oral Health
Some patients don’t think their mouth can get infected when they have dental implants because they’re not real teeth. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Although your implant may not get infected, the gum tissue around it easily can.
If your gums get infected, a disease called peri-implantitis can develop, which causes bone loss. When the jawbone deteriorates, your implant will loosen and eventually lead to total implant failure.
In order to prevent peri-implantitis, you must brush, floss, and use mouthwash daily to remove any bacteria or food particles from your mouth that can build up into plaque or tartar. By doing so, you can enjoy the benefits of an attractive, healthy smile for years to come.
Use Suitable Dental Care Products
One major advantage of caring for your dental implants is that your hygiene routine is exactly the same. Brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash is all you need to do to help maintain good oral health. However, the products you use should be different so they don’t damage your implant and restoration.
- Toothbrush — Use a soft-bristled brush that won’t scratch your gums and restoration
- Toothpaste — Don’t use a whitening or smokers toothpaste that contains abrasive ingredients
- Floss — Find one that’s nylon coated or made for dental implants
- Mouthwash — Avoid any that have alcohol because it can dry out your mouth
Return to Our Office for Check-Ups
Professional dental cleanings and oral examinations are crucial to your oral health, especially with dental implants. You should return to our Brooklyn office at least twice a year for these appointments so Dr. Stanislaus can ensure your smile is healthy.
Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you notice anything irregular about your dental implant or if you have a general question throughout your recovery. It’s best to catch any dental problems early on before they harm your overall health.